Wednesday, August 22, 2007

From Fedora to Ubuntu

Why have I transterred from Fedora to Ubuntu?
First, I can't fix the scim in QT program like opera, amsn, skype. I stand it for as long as more than half a year.
Secondly, I didn't install openafs properly.
Another reason is I can not login secure wireless network. I hope I can fix it in Ubuntu.

Why I did not transfer earlier?
I have already try it. But there were something I did not like.
1. The default vim do not have GUI. And I can not install it(long time ago)
2. Most important thing. I don't like the color and the themes. I like blue more.
3. There are even not l. and no default ll alias.

It took me one day to do the transfer. The chance come when I got a sencond hard disk bay adapter for Thinkpad T60 from eBay. Now I have two hard disk inside, and I prefer another system. I failed in hacking a MacOS on x86 first.
Since there is no more cdrom, I install Ubuntu from hard disk. Copying the system from existing system failed. Then I try to install it from hard disk. It took much time because I do not know it requires special iso image. Yes, you need alternate version.

The difference and difficulties:
I mount the home partition to ubuntu, so the configuration could be conserved.
1.fstab : ubuntu use UUID rather than /dev/sda(b). It identify the hard disk in different order every time. Google UUID you can get the solution.
2.gnome-terminal : No color theme of the text. It bother me a lot. I tried the gconf-editer first and even deleted the config folder in .gconf. It won't work. Finally, it because ls command don't have --color option. Do a alias in .bashrc can solve that.
3.Gvim : can open file from nautilus. E37 error. Config file problem. delete some terms.

The theme conserved from fedora. I use MacOS theme. And changed the login screen to blue ones and the background color the blue and splash pic to the one I like. Now you can not see ubuntu. It is fast, probably because it's new. I like it.

No comments: